Operation Clean Sweep is coming to Burlington, April 28 - May 6. Visit https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/DPW/Clean-Sweep for more info.

Department of Public Works

My Account


We accept the following payment types:

  • Checks: Personal, business or bill pay checks are accepted.  Please mail checks 7-10 business days (M-F) before your due date in order to ensure they are received on time.  
  • Money order
  • Cash (235 Penny Lane only)
  • Automatic Debit: We offer a scheduled automatic debit from your checking or savings account and this service is free.  Please download the form or we would be happy to mail, email or fax one to you. 
  • Credit Cards/EChecks: We are partnered with MuniciPAY to accept credit cards and echecks in our Penny Lane office, over the phone or online.  Please note, you do not have to set up an account with MuniciPAY to make a payment--you simply need the Water Resources account number and the amount you would like to pay.  The processing fee for all credit cards/echecks has been temporarily suspended effective 4/1/20.

How To Pay:

  • Your monthly bill includes a preprinted return envelope with our mailing address: Water Resources, P O Box 1758, Albany, NY 12201.  Please mail checks 7-10 business days (M-F) before your due date in order to ensure we receive them on time.  
  • Our business office is located at 235 Penny Lane (at the end of Lake Street) and we are open 8-4:30, Monday through Friday.  We accept cash, check and money order payments during business hours. There is also a drop box at the front entrance which is available 24/7 (checks only).**The building remains temporarily closed--please use dropbox** 
  • Burlington Electric Department located at 585 Pine Street, Burlington Public Works located at 645 Pine Street and City Hall located at 149 Church Street. All of these locations accept our payments and they are sent to us via courier each morning.  **The BED drive up remains temporarily closed**

Payment Assistance:

  • We can offer no interest payment arrangements for up to 24 months on a past due balance.  Please email us or call to learn more about how we can help.  
  • You may be eligible for assistance with your water bill from from community agencies.  Please contact Vermont 2-1-1 to discuss your particular situation and find resources to help.

Bill Formats

All accounts receive a paper bill unless otherwise specified.  You can elect to go paperless by signing up for our online portal.  Please have a valid email address and a recent bill to complete the set up. 

Water Meter

Learn about the typical water meter register and  how to calculate your consumption.   

Be a leak detective and resolve high water bills! 

Start Service

If you are purchasing a home in Burlington then please review our FAQ related to property transfers. 

If you are a landlord, tenant or property manager seeking to have a name added to an existing account then please review our FAQ related to secondary names on the water bill.  

If you need a meter for new construction or want to change the size of an existing meter then please visit our Connection Requirements.