Operation Clean Sweep is coming to Burlington, April 28 - May 6. Visit https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/DPW/Clean-Sweep for more info.


Adding a Tenant or Property Manager to Your Account

Who Can Be Added?

A property owner can request to have the water bill transferred into the name of a tenant or a property manager.  The new party will be added on a secondary, care of line and the property owner's name will remain on as primary billing contact. 

What Properties Are Eligible For Transfer?

Tenants can only be added to properties that have individual water meters for the space being rented and receive a separate bill from us. For example, if a duplex is separately rented but only has one water meter then we do not allow a tenant’s name to be added. This is because that water meter is tracking the cumulative usage for both units and must stay in the property owner’s name.  However, if a duplex is separately meter then we are happy to allow tenants to receive the bill provided the appropriate form is filled out. 

Property Managers can be added to any account regardless of meter status. 

Who Is Liable For Unpaid Balances? 

The property owner is ultimately responsible for any unpaid water resources balance, per BCO 31-19.   We do send a courtesy notice to all property owners when their tenant has become $200 or more past due.  If we are unable to secure payment or terminate service then a lien will be filed on the actual real estate supplied with water, per BCO 31-20 (a).  We encourage property owners to verify account status before giving back a security deposit as we do not pursue tenants for the unpaid balance.     

How Do I Get a Final Reading?

Unfortunately, we do not currently offer a final reading service for tenants.  We will only be able to calculate a final balance using the most recent meter reading dates.  We recommend that a property representative write down the water meter reading on the exit date, so we can offer a more accurate final bill using that exact date.  Please note, we will not approve a new tenant form until the previous tenant's balance is paid in full.    

Who Can Help Resolve Rental Issues?

Water Resources can only provide information about the the water bill.  If there is a plumbing issue causing a high bill and you are unable to resolve it with your tenant or landlord, please contact the Housing Division within our Permitting & Inspections Department.  They are responsible for inspecting rental housing units, enforcing minimum housing standards, issuing certificates of compliance to landlords, and funding tenant and landlord advocacy services.  

Sign Me Up

The tenant and property manager agreement forms can be found by clicking the link below.  The property manager form must be  signed by the property owner, and the tenant agreement form must be signed by the property owner unless they have a valid PM form on file.  We will reject any documents that do not comply with the signatory requirements.