Clerk/Treasurer’s Office

Marriage Licenses


Schedule a Marriage License Appointment

Can I get the license through the mail?

No. A marriage license cannot be issued through the mail, and you cannot be married by a proxy. You can download a copy of the marriage license application and have it ready for the town clerk before you arrive at their office. Both parties MUST sign the application. 

Translations of this form are available in BosnianFrançais (French)Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)Kiswahili (Swahili)Español (Spanish)Kirundiپښتو (Pashto)دری (Dari)العربية (Arabic)नेपाली (Nepali)Hindi中文 (Chinese-Simplified), and 中文 (Chinese-Traditional).


Do we need a get a marriage license?

Yes, you do need to obtain a marriage license in order to get married in Vermont.


Do we need blood tests?



What do we do with the license? What happens to it after the ceremony?

According to law, you must deliver the license to the person who will conduct your wedding ceremony before the marriage can be performed. After the ceremony, the person who performs the ceremony (officiant) will complete the sections concerning the date, place and officiant information, and sign your license. At that point, the license becomes a marriage certificate. The officiant must return the certificate to the town clerk’s office where it was issued within 10 days after the wedding, so that your marriage can be officially registered. If the officiant has registered with the Secretary of State as a temporary officiant, a copy of the certificate of authority is issued by the Secretary of State should be attached to the signed license and returned to the clerk’s office. The certificate is not a complete legal document until it has been recorded in the town clerk’s office where it was purchased. Any license that is back-dated to a date earlier than the date it was purchased voids the license. It is not recognized by State or Federal Government.


What if either of us were married or in a civil union before?

If your husband, wife or civil union partner has died, you are free to marry. The clerk will ask the date your spouse or civil union partner died. If you are divorced, you may remarry after the date on which your previous marriage or civil union was legally dissolved. If you are partners in an existing civil union, you are free to marry one another.


What if we are not Vermont Residents?

If neither party is a Vermont resident, you may get the marriage license application from any town clerk in the state of Vermont.


What information must we provide to get a marriage license?

Besides basic information about yourselves (name, towns of residence, places, and dates of birth), you must also provide your parent’s names, including your mother’s birth (maiden) names, and their places of birth. (Although not necessary, copies of your birth certificate can supply most of this information). Vermont law requires that at least one of you must be present to sign the license in front of a town clerk, and both parties MUST sign the application. You must bring a State or Federal ID with you to obtain the license (this includes a driver’s license, non-driver’s license, passport, etc.). You will also be asked to provide the number of previous marriages and civil unions, and how and when they ended. This information is confidential and does not become part of the marriage certificate.


How much does the license cost?

The marriage license costs $80.00, and is valid for 60 days from the date it is issued. During that time period, an authorized person must perform your wedding ceremony—otherwise, the license is void. We accept cash or check. Credit cards are also accepted with a 2.65% processing fee.


How do I get a copy of my Marriage Certificate?

You may request a copy of a marriage certificate online. Once we receive the request it will be processed and mailed to you within 2-4 business days.

You may come into the Clerk’s Office Monday-Friday between 8:00am-4:30pm to request a marriage certificate. or call 802-865-7000.

You can mail in the request form and simply follow the directions at the top of the page. A certified copy (raised seal) of a marriage certificate is $10.00 per certified copy and $2.00 for a photocopy (no raised seal). Checks can be made payable to the City of Burlington. Once we receive the request it will be processed and mailed to you within 2-4 business days.



Are there any marriage restrictions?

Anyone under guardianship cannot marry without the guardian’s written consent. Vermont also does not allow marriages between close relatives. You cannot marry a parent, grandparent, sister, brother, child, grandchild, niece, nephew, aunt, or uncle. You cannot marry if either of you is currently married to someone else, or if either of you is joined in a civil union to someone else. The law requires that both parties be of sound mind.


Where do we get the marriage license?

Marriage license applications are issued by Vermont town clerks. If you are getting married in Vermont, you may get a marriage license from any town clerk in Vermont.  If you are getting the license in Burlington you can come into the Clerk’s office anytime between the hours of 8:00am - 4:30pm, Monday-Friday (we are closed for all Federal and State Holidays). Please allow for up to twenty minutes for the license to be typed.


Who can get married in Vermont?

Two people who are at least 18 years old can obtain a civil marriage in Vermont.  By Vermont law, no one under the age of 18 may marry in Vermont.


Who can perform my wedding ceremony?

Your marriage can be performed by: a Supreme Court justice, a superior court judge, a district judge, justice of the peace, or an ordained or licensed member of the clergy residing in Vermont. If the officiate does not reside in Vermont, or is not recognized by the State of Vermont, they must file for a permit from a Probate Court in the county where the marriage will take place. In addition, any person over the age of 18 may register with the Secretary of State to become a temporary officiant to a marriage. For information to be a temporary officiant, please visit the Secretary of States website at or call (802) 828-2148.