Due to construction, public access to the City of Burlington Land Records vault will be extremely limited on Monday, July 22 and Tuesday, July 23. Records can be accessed online by visiting: https://i2f.uslandrecords.com/VT/Burlington/D/Default.aspx
If you need immediate access to records not available online, please contact the Clerk/Treasurer’s Office Customer Service at (802) 865-7000, option 1, then option 0.

Clerk/Treasurer’s Office

Dog Licenses

Information on animal control and animal welfare may be found at:

How do I get my dog licensed?

All you have to do is bring a copy of your up to date rabies certificate (by law the City must have a copy of it on file) and also a copy of your spaying/neutering certificate if applicable, to the Clerk/Treasurer's Office. You will then be issued a license tag. We start registering dogs in January for the new year. If you are purchasing a license between January 2nd and April 1st, you will need a rabies certificate with an expiration date of April 1st or after for the current licensing year. To license your dog by mail, send the up to date rabies certificate, a check for applicable fees, and a self addressed stamped envelope to: City of Burlington, Attn: Dog Licenses, 149 Church St., Burlington, VT 05401.


How much does a dog license cost?

  • Spayed/Neutered  >  $27.00*
  • Unspayed/Unneutered  >  $47.00*

What's the most important thing to bring with me when I walk my dog?

Please bring your pooper scoopers with you when you go for walks so it doesn't end up on the bottom of someone’s shoes. (Burl. Ordinance 5-4 & 17) Cleaning up after your dog, also helps to keep Lake Champlain clean. Read more about how dog droppings affect the Lake on the "Rethink Runoff" campaign website. (Burl. Ordinance 5 – 13 & 14)


How much are Tickets & Fines?

First Offense in a 12-month period - $50-$100.00 Second Offense in a 12-month period - $100–$200.00 Third and subsequent offense in a 12-month period- $200-$500


What can I do if my neighbor's dog is barking?

The first thing to do is talk to your neighbor about the situation. If you do not get a satisfactory response from your neighbor, you can call the Police Department at 658-2700. (Burlington Ordinance 5-4)


What happens if I get caught with my dog off leash? Burlington Ordinance 5-13 & 14)

Generally two things can happen – you may receive a municipal ticket and depending on the circumstances, your dog may be impounded.


What if my dog is impounded?

The fee to release a dog from impound is $75.00   ** (Burl. Ordinance 5-24 & 25)

There is also a $10.00 a day boarding fee. No dog will be released until it is properly registered.

A fee must be paid to the Clerk/Treasurer’s Office before a dog may be released from the pound.

**If a dog is impounded 3 or more times in a 12-month period, the case may be referred to the Animal Control Committee of the Police Commission. The Committee will hold a hearing to decide what, if any, action should be taken to protect the public. (Burl. Ordinance 5-27)


Why should I license my dog?

State Law Requires Collars & Tags On All Dogs. Every Dog Must Be Licensed In The Town It Resides In (VSA 20-3581).