Police Department

Services and Guides

The links here will bring you to details about services most commonly inquired about.

Animal Control - Lost or Found Dogs - If you have lost your dog or have found a dog, please call (802) 658-2700 and press 9 to speak with Dispatch.

State Law Requires Collars & Tags On All Dogs. Every Dog Must Be Licensed In The Town It Resides In (VSA 20-3581).  Click here for more information about dog licensing in Burlington.

Injured or Orphaned Wildlife - Visit Vermont Fish and Wildlife

Car Seat Inspections can be arranged by calling 1-888-VMT-SEAT. Information on car seats can be found at Be Seat Smart.

Civil Disputes - such as landlord/tenant issues - should be resolved with the assistance of organizations such as VT Legal Aid or the VT Landlords Association.

Scam Calls - Contact the Attorney General's Office, Consumer Assistance @ (800)649-2424.

Crash/Accident Reports can be obtained via our Records unit at (802)540-2370 OR using this link (via a third party application GetCrashReports)

Event Permits & Planning

In order to ensure the public’s safety and orderly flow of traffic, the City has established guidelines for many types of special events. Below is a list of events or circumstances for which a permit must be obtained prior to the date of the event. Failure to obtain the appropriate permit(s) may result in termination of the event and enforcement action for violation of applicable City ordinance(s).  The permitting process can be tricky to navigate, particularly the first time. If you have any questions, please contact Sarah Trieb at (802) 540-2246 or strieb@bpdvt.org.

Type of Event and Issuing Department

Parade – POLICE

Street Event (block party) – POLICE

Tents – FIRE

Alcohol in Parks (parks special use) – PARKS & REC

Amplified music (in parks) – PARKS & REC

Entertainment Permit for Licensed Establishment – CITY CLERK


Protest/Demonstrations (entering public roadways, or sidewalks - to assist with traffic flow) – POLICE

Vendor/Sales – CITY CLERK


In order to obtain a permit, a responsible representative of the group holding the event must contact the appropriate City department. A three to four week lead time is ideal. The representative must complete an application for the special event and provide all information requested. The representative must also contact all applicable public agencies that may be impacted by the event.

Please fill out the Police Event Permit Application and return it to Sarah Trieb at Burlington Police Department 1 North Avenue Burlington, VT 05401

Having a block party?  Please fill out the Block Party Application and the Permit Waiver Form and return it to Sarah Trieb at the Burlington Police Department

Off Campus Living Survival Guide

Reports (Police Reports) - to request a copy of a police report please call our Records unit at 802-540-2370.

Ride Alongs - Those interested in a ride along with a Burlington Police Officer are welcome to fill out a Ride Along Application and Waiver to do so. You may email those to Sarah Trieb at strieb@bpdvt.org. If you have any questions, please contact Sarah at (802) 540-2246.