Retirement Administration

Retirement Administration

Administrative Services for the Burlington Employees’ Retirement System (“Pension Plan”)

We are pleased to announce that the City of Burlington has engaged Hooker & Holcombe to assist with certain administrative functions of the Pension Plan including monthly pension payments from the Plan’s account. You will now have access to personalized services through the Hooker & Holcombe PensionEdge® Service Center, staffed with knowledgeable representatives ready to assist you with questions related to your Pension Plan. Please review the sections below.


Call the PensionEdge Service Center at 1.866.495.3548 between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm ET, Monday - Friday (Multilingual Services are available)


Pension Benefit Application Process - please follow the instructions included in this document. 


Send an email to

Please note: "Burlington" in your subject line.


Send by mail

USI Consulting Group

Attention:  USICG/H&H Participant Service Center

95 Glastonbury Blvd, Ste 102

Glastonbury, CT  06033


The Hooker & Holcombe PensionEdge® Service Center will assist you with:

Change of address

Changes to your tax-withholding

Bank account direct deposit instructions

Any other questions you may have regarding your Pension Plan benefit

Login to Hooker & Holcombe


For participants currently with active or vested deferred payment status:

Change of address (for vested deferred payment status only - active employees should report change to  HR)

View personal pension information

View and print annual benefit statements

Estimate future retirement income using automated calculation function

Request final benefit calculations and benefit election forms (for terminees only)

View the Status of the final benefit calculation

View related plan information and documents