Department of Planning and Zoning
In this area you will find valuable information about planning for Burlington's future, as well as how to get permits for new development. You will find a menu to the left to help you learn everything you ever wanted to know about our department and planning in Burlington, and below are some quick links of the latest and greatest stuff. Enjoy!
- The Great Streets Initiative continues! On November 16, 2016 at 7pm in Contois Auditorium, there will be a presentation on the Main Street and City Hall Park Concept Plans. The Main STreet Concept Plan will be focused on improvements to the public right of way, including sidewalks, street trees, stormwater, lighting and bike facilities. The design work for City Hall Park will advance concept plans that emerged from the 2012 Imagine City Hall Park Process. The Great Initiative is a culmination of many years of planning, including the public vote in 2014 to use the CIty's downtown TIF disrict to make new investments in the downtown's public infrastructure. This initiative includes the development of standards for our downtown streets, as well as plans for the redesign of Main Street, St. Paul Street, and City Hall Park. Visit the website www.GreatStreetsBTV.com for more information.
- Downtown Form-Based Code - The City Council created a Joint Committee with the Planning Commission to begin the detailed review of the proposed Form-Based Code for the Downtown and Waterfront area.
- Click here to download the NEWEST version of the DRAFT CODE (April 8, 2016).
- Meeting dates for the Joint City Council Planning Commission Form Based Code Committee can be found here.
- The DRAFT planBTV South End Master Plan: The South End is rapidly growing and changing, as we have seen in the last few years. planBTV South End is a community conversation to consider how to protect and preserve what is most loved about the South End while proactively preparing for the continued growth and change. Your Neighborhood, Your Vision! Lend your voice to the process!
- The Planning Commission is currently reviewing the draft and the comments that have been made, and is making changes as a result. Another draft is anticipated in late summer/early fall 2016.
- Want to see what others have had to say about this? Click here for public comments on the draft Plan received through October 1, 2015.
- Want to find out about meetings and events where you can learn more and share your comments? Click here to see a schedule of up coming meetings.
- Burlington Town Center public process! Visit the website for more information on opportunities to get engaged and shape it's redevelopment.
Need something quickly?
- Permit Status Reports: Zoning Permit Status Reports allow you to see what's being proposed in your neighborhood or check on the status of your own Zoning Permit application.
- Forms: Get a Zoning Permit Application Form. Don't forget to get a Checklist (or other forms) for the type of project you are planning.
- "Which Zoning District am I in?" Use the current Official Zoning Map to identify your zoning district. Allowable uses are shown in Appendix A of the Zoning Ordinance. More Zoning-related Maps: Map Index.
- "I need to close on a sale. Do I have any open permits?" Check the 'Permit History' in the Assessor's Property Database.
- "It seems like something fishy is going on... how do I file a complaint?" Contact the Code Enforcement Office to submit a complaint form.
- 2014 Tax Parcel Maps are now online. You can now access the maps from City Hall in the comfort of your own home or office.
- How to make a site plan!
- Zoning Ordinance: A complete version of the Burlington Comprehensive Development Ordinance is available online. All amendments through 9/10/12 are included. Recent amendments adopted by the City Council can be found here: Recently Adopted Amendments.
- Proposed Zoning Amendments: Pending amendments to the Comprehensive Development Ordinance can be found at Amendments before the Planning Commission or Amendments before the City Council.
- Director's Report: The Department of Planning and Zoning Annual Reports are here to help you learn more about what we do.
Upcoming Board Meetings, Agendas and Packets
Please visit the pages below for current meeting agendas and packets: