Department of Planning and Zoning
In this area you will find valuable information about planning for Burlington's future, as well as how to get permits for new development. You will find a menu to the left to help you learn everything you ever wanted to know about our department and planning in Burlington, and below are some quick links of the latest and greatest stuff. Enjoy!
- Downtown Form-Based Code - The City Council created a Joint Committee with the Planning Commission to begin the detailed review of the proposed Form-Based Code for the Downtown and Waterfront area.
- Click here to download the NEWEST version of the DRAFT CODE (April 8, 2016).
- Meeting dates for the Joint City Council Planning Commission Form Based Code Committee can be found here.
- The DRAFT planBTV South End Master Plan is out - have you seen it?! The South End is rapidly growing and changing, as we have seen in the last few years. planBTV South End is a community conversation to consider how to protect and preserve what is most loved about the South End while proactively preparing for the continued growth and change. Your Neighborhood, Your Vision! Lend your voice to the process!
- The Planning Commission is currently reviewing the draft and the comments that have been made, and will be making changes as a result. Another draft is anticipated in early 2016. If you want to follow the work of the Commission, click HERE for their meeting agendas.
- Still Want to see the Draft? No problem - copies are available in the following locations:
- Burlington City Hall, Dept of Planning & Zoning
- Fletcher Free Library
- 645 Pine St, Dept of Public Works
- Want to see what others have had to say about this? Click here for public comments on the draft Plan received through October 1, 2015.
- Want to find out about meetings and events where you can learn more and share your comments? Click here to see a schedule of up coming meetings.
- Burlington Town Center public process! Visit the website for more information on opportunities to get engaged and shape it's redevelopment. Did you mis the presentation on January 5th? Don't worry, come to the Public Event Encore Presentation on January 21 at 5pm in City Hall's Contois Auditorium to see and discuss the revised plans and framework for a proposed development agreement
Need something quickly?
- Permit Status Reports: Zoning Permit Status Reports allow you to see what's being proposed in your neighborhood or check on the status of your own Zoning Permit application.
- Forms: Get a Zoning Permit Application Form. Don't forget to get a Checklist (or other forms) for the type of project you are planning.
- "Which Zoning District am I in?" Use the current Official Zoning Map to identify your zoning district. Allowable uses are shown in Appendix A of the Zoning Ordinance. More Zoning-related Maps: Map Index.
- "I need to close on a sale. Do I have any open permits?" Check the 'Permit History' in the Assessor's Property Database.
- "It seems like something fishy is going on... how do I file a complaint?" Contact the Code Enforcement Office to submit a complaint form.
- 2014 Tax Parcel Maps are now online. You can now access the maps from City Hall in the comfort of your own home or office.
- How to make a site plan!
- The Vermont Shoreland Protection Act became effective July 1, 2014. The Shoreland Protection Act is intended to protect water quality, preserve habitat and natural shoreline stability, and protect the economic and recreation benefits of lakes and their shorelines. The City of Burlington has been granted delegation by VT DEC to implement the Act through our existing zoning permit process effective July 1st, 2015.
- Zoning Ordinance: A complete version of the Burlington Comprehensive Development Ordinance is available online. All amendments through 9/10/12 are included. Recent amendments adopted by the City Council can be found here: Recently Adopted Amendments.
- Proposed Zoning Amendments: Pending amendments to the Comprehensive Development Ordinance can be found at Amendments before the Planning Commission or Amendments before the City Council.
- Director's Report: A bi-monthly Director's Report has been added to the Monthly, Quarterly and Annual Reports page to help you stay more up-to-date on what we're up to.
Upcoming Board Meetings, Agendas and Packets
Please visit the pages below for current meeting agendas and packets: