Burlington Fire Department

Station 1

Central Fire Station

136 South Winooski Avenue

The Firehouse

Fire Station Number 1, also known as Central Fire Station, has served the city since 1926. It is the busiest firehouse in the city and the State of Vermont. The men and women of Central respond first due to the City’s downtown district, which contains The Church Street Marketplace, restaurants, bars, apartment buildings, commercial properties, office buildings, museums, the waterfront, and several schools. Station 1 is home to Battalion 1, Engine 1, Ambulance 1, Tower 1, and Rescue 1. The firehouse is staffed by 7 firefighters, the Battalion Chief of the shift, the Deputy Chief of Administration, the Deputy Chief of Operations, the Chief Engineer, and one Administrative and Accounting Assistant.

Engine 1

Engine 1 is a 2017 E-One Typhoon 1500gpm pump that also provides advanced life support care. It is the busiest fire engine in the State of Vermont, responding to 2824 calls in 2022. Engine 1 is staffed with three firefighters and is capable of fire suppression, paramedic-level emergency medicine, ice water rescue, and tactical EMS.

Ambulance 1

Ambulance 1 is a 2020 Ford F-450 with a custom Osage patient compartment that is fully paramedic-equipped to provide advanced life support. It is the busiest 911 response ambulance in the State of Vermont, responding to 2939 calls in 2022. Ambulance 1 is staffed with two firefighters and is capable of paramedic-level emergency medicine and tactical EMS. Ambulance members are also firefighters and assist engine companies with fire attack and ladder companies with search and rescue.

Tower 1

Tower 1 is a 2019 E-One 100’ rear mount tower ladder that also provides advanced life support care. It responded to 1736 calls in 2022. The Tower is staffed with two firefighters and is fully equipped for technical rescue, ice water rescue, high and low-angle rope rescue, auto extrication, paramedic-level emergency medicine, and tactical EMS.

Battalion 1

Battalion 1 is a 2018 Chevy Tahoe that serves as the Incident Command vehicle. It responded to 598 calls in 2022 and is staffed by one Battalion Chief who is responsible for complex and large incidents requiring a more sophisticated command structure.

Rescue 1

Rescue 1 is a 2019 E-One Heavy Rescue with a full complement of technical rescue equipment and a portable cascade air system. Rescue 1 has no assigned members and sits in reserve status at Station 1.