Department of Planning and Zoning
Welcome to the Burlington Department of Planning and Zoning!
In this area you will find valuable information about planning for Burlington's future, as well as how to get permits for new development. You will find a menu to the left to help you learn everything you ever wanted to know about our department and planning in Burlington, and below are some quick links of the latest and greatest stuff. Enjoy!
- planBTV South End is now underway! planBTV South End is a community conversation! The South End is rapidly growing and changing, as we have seen in the last few years. It is time to engage in a planning process to protect and preserved what is most loved about the South End while proactively preparing for the continued growth and change. Your Neighborhood, Your Vision! Lend your voice to the process!
- The Vermont Shoreland Protection Act was passed this year and will become effective July 1, 2014. If you own lakeshore property, these new state rules will affect you. The Shoreland Protection Act is intended to protect water quality, preserve habitat and natural shoreline stability, and protect the economic and recreation benefits of lakes and their shorelines. Please see the Shoreland Permit Program for details. The City of Burlington intends to pursue delegation of the shoreland rules. This information will be updated when that occurs.
- The Dept. of Parks and Recreation has kicked off the creation of the city's first Parks System Master Plan. The Parks Master Plan will provide a comprehensive plan for the future of Burlington parks amenities and recreation programming. This is the City’s first system-wide parks plan and it will include considerations for all of our parks, waterfront, trails, conservation areas, beaches, community gardens, cemeteries, facilities and program offerings. Visit their new project website to learn more and see how you can get involved.
Need something quickly?
- Permit Status Reports:Zoning Permit Status Reports allow you to see what's being proposed in your neighborhood or check on the status of your own Zoning Permit application.
- Forms: Get a Zoning Permit Application Form (which is now able to be filled in online before printing so that staff dont have to interpret your handwriting!!!). Don't forget to get a Checklist (or other forms) for the type of project you are planning.
- "Which Zoning District am I in?" Use the current Official Zoning Map to identify your zoning district. Allowable uses are shown in Appendix A of the Zoning Ordinance. More Zoning-related Maps: Map Index.
- "I need to close on a sale. Do I have any open permits?" Check the 'Permit History' in the Assessor's Property Database.
- "It seems like something fishy is going on... how do I file a complaint?" Contact the Code Enforcement Office to submit a complaint form.
- Contact Us: Go to our Staff Directory for email addresses and phone numbers of Planning and Zoning staff.
- Zoning Ordinance: A complete version of the Burlington Comprehensive Development Ordinance is available online. All amendments through 9/10/12 are included. Recent amendments adopted by the City Council can be found here: Recently Adopted Amendments.
- Proposed Zoning Amendments: Pending amendments to the Comprehensive Development Ordinance can be found at Amendments before the Planning Commission or Amendments before the City Council.
- Director's Report: A bi-monthly Director's Report has been added to the Monthly, Quarterly and Annual Reports page to help you stay more up-to-date on what we're up to.
Upcoming Board Meetings, Agendas and Packets
Please visit the pages below for current meeting agendas and packets: