Department of Planning and Zoning
Welcome to the Burlington Department of Planning and Zoning!
In this area you will find valuable information about planning for Burlington's future, as well as how to get permits for new development. You will find a menu to the left to help you learn everything you ever wanted to know about our department and planning in Burlington, and below are some quick links of the latest and greatest stuff. Enjoy!
- OUR WEBSITE! We have moved to a new web platform and with that comes the task of rolling over all content and making sure all links work again. Please excuse any interuptions while we are working out the kinks on this new platform. If you really need to get information, a form or anything else, dont hesistate to call (802) 865 7188 or email Nic @ email@example.com
- After more than two years of work and 18 months of public outreach and comment, planBTV: Downtown and Waterfront Master Plan was unanimously adopted by the Burlington City Council on June 10, 2013!! Thank you to all that participated!!
Like the Federal Partnership for Sustainable Communities that largely funded this effort, this project is the result of a collaborative partnership of several City Departments and many, many others who have greatly contributed their time and energies.This plan is also a compilation of many plans – plans developed by many people for many purposes over the years – woven together to bring into focus how to make the best use of our waterfront and downtown, and ensure they remain active and vital places for many years to come. This Plan is now officially part of the City's Municipal Development Plan.
- The Dept. of Parks and Recreation has kicked off the creation of the city's first Parks System Master Plan. The Parks Master Plan will provide a comprehensive plan for the future of Burlington parks amenities and recreation programming. This is the City’s first system-wide parks plan and it will include considerations for all of our parks, waterfront, trails, conservation areas, beaches, community gardens, cemeteries, facilities and program offerings. Visit their new project website to learn more and see how you can get involved.
Need something quickly?
- Permit Status Reports:Zoning Permit Status Reports allow you to see what's being proposed in your neighborhood or check on the status of your own Zoning Permit application.
- Forms: Get a Zoning Permit Application Form (which is now able to be filled in online before printing so that staff dont have to interpret your handwriting!!!). Don't forget to get a Checklist (or other forms) for the type of project you are planning.
- "Which Zoning District am I in?" Use the current Official Zoning Map to identify your zoning district. Allowable uses are shown in Appendix A of the Zoning Ordinance. More Zoning-related Maps: Map Index.
- "I need to close on a sale. Do I have any open permits?" Check the 'Permit History' in the Assessor's Property Database.
- "It seems like something fishy is going on... how do I file a complaint?" Contact the Code Enforcement Office to submit a complaint form.
- Contact Us: Go to our Staff Directory for email addresses and phone numbers of Planning and Zoning staff.
- Zoning Ordinance: A complete version of the Burlington Comprehensive Development Ordinance is available online. All amendments through 9/10/12 are included. Recent amendments adopted by the City Council can be found here: Recently Adopted Amendments.
- Proposed Zoning Amendments: Pending amendments to the Comprehensive Development Ordinance can be found at Amendments before the Planning Commission or Amendments before the City Council.
- Director's Report: A bi-monthly Director's Report has been added to the Monthly, Quarterly and Annual Reports page to help you stay more up-to-date on what we're up to.
Upcoming Board Meetings, Agendas and Packets
Please visit the pages below for current meeting agendas and packets: