Department of Planning and Zoning
In this area you will find valuable information about planning for Burlington's future, as well as how to get permits for new development. You will find a menu to the left to help you learn everything you ever wanted to know about our department and planning in Burlington, and below are some quick links of the latest and greatest stuff. Enjoy!
- Burlington Town Center public process! Visit the website for more information on opportunities to get engaged and shape it's redevelopment.
- Downtown Form-Based Code - The City Council recently created a Joint Committee with the planning commission to begin the official review of the proposed Form-Based Code. Click here to download the DRAFT CODE (April 3, 2015). Here are meeting dates that are planned for the committee:
- Wednesday, April 29 – 5:30pm - Room 12 of City Hall
- Wednesday, May 6 – 7pm - Room 12 of City Hall
- Wednesday, May 13 – 5:30pm – DPW Conference Room, 645 Pine St
- Wednesday, May 20 – 5:30pm - Room 12 of City Hall
- Wednesday, May 27 – 5:30pm - Room 12 of City Hall
- Wednesday, June 10 – 5:30pm – DPW Conference Room, 645 Pine St
- Thursday, June 18 – 5:30pm - Room 12 of City Hall
- planBTV South End is underway! planBTV South End is a community conversation! The South End is rapidly growing and changing, as we have seen in the last few years. It is time to engage in a planning process to protect and preserved what is most loved about the South End while proactively preparing for the continued growth and change. Your Neighborhood, Your Vision! Lend your voice to the process!
- 2014 Tax Parcel Maps are now online for the first time ever. You can now access the maps from City Hall in the comfort of your own home or office.
- How to make a site plan!
- The Vermont Shoreland Protection Act was passed this year and will become effective July 1, 2014. If you own lakeshore property, these new state rules will affect you. The Shoreland Protection Act is intended to protect water quality, preserve habitat and natural shoreline stability, and protect the economic and recreation benefits of lakes and their shorelines. Please see the Shoreland Permit Program for details. The City of Burlington intends to pursue delegation of the shoreland rules. This information will be updated when that occurs.
Need something quickly?
- Permit Status Reports:Zoning Permit Status Reports allow you to see what's being proposed in your neighborhood or check on the status of your own Zoning Permit application.
- Forms: Get a Zoning Permit Application Form. Don't forget to get a Checklist (or other forms) for the type of project you are planning.
- "Which Zoning District am I in?" Use the current Official Zoning Map to identify your zoning district. Allowable uses are shown in Appendix A of the Zoning Ordinance. More Zoning-related Maps: Map Index.
- "I need to close on a sale. Do I have any open permits?" Check the 'Permit History' in the Assessor's Property Database.
- "It seems like something fishy is going on... how do I file a complaint?" Contact the Code Enforcement Office to submit a complaint form.
- Contact Us: Go to our Staff Directory for email addresses and phone numbers of Planning and Zoning staff.
- Zoning Ordinance: A complete version of the Burlington Comprehensive Development Ordinance is available online. All amendments through 9/10/12 are included. Recent amendments adopted by the City Council can be found here: Recently Adopted Amendments.
- Proposed Zoning Amendments: Pending amendments to the Comprehensive Development Ordinance can be found at Amendments before the Planning Commission or Amendments before the City Council.
- Director's Report: A bi-monthly Director's Report has been added to the Monthly, Quarterly and Annual Reports page to help you stay more up-to-date on what we're up to.
Upcoming Board Meetings, Agendas and Packets
Please visit the pages below for current meeting agendas and packets: