Clerk/Treasurer’s Office

Birth Certificates

How can I request a copy of a birth certificate?

You may request a copy of a birth certificate online. Once we receive the request it will be processed and mailed to you within 2-4 business days. 

You may come into the Clerk’s Office Monday-Friday between 8:00am-4:30pm to request a birth certificate. 

You can mail in the request form and simply follow the directions at the top of the page. We do not need your Social Security number to find the record. A certified copy (raised seal) of a birth certificate is $10.00 per certified copy and $2.00 for a photocopy (no raised seal). Checks can be made payable to the City of Burlington. Once we receive the request it will be processed and mailed to you within 2-4 business days.

For more information, call 802-865-7000.


Do I need an ID to get a birth certificate?

No. Birth certificates are considered to be public documents by the State of Vermont. No ID is required to receive a copy of the certificate.


How do I add a parent name to a birth certificate?

The Clerk’s Office cannot add or remove parental names from a birth certificate. To add a parent to a birth certificate, fill out the State of Vermont Voluntary Acknowledgement of Parentage Form and mail it to the State Department of Health at 108 Cherry Street, P.O. Box 70 Burlington, VT 05401.


I noticed a mistake on the birth certificate, how can I get this corrected?

In most cases, if it is within 6 months of the actual birth you can contact the Clerk’s Office at (802) 865-7000 or fill out the Correction Form and mail it to 149 Church Street, Burlington, VT 05401 Attn: Vital Records. If it is after six months, you will need to contact the Probate Court located at 175 Main Street, or call them at (802) 651-1518. Changes to a child’s last name or a parents last name also require a probate court order, regardless of the date of birth.


What if I am looking for a birth certificate of someone who was not born in Burlington?

If the person was not born in Burlington, you must contact the town in which the person was born to receive a copy of the certificate. If you’re unsure of what town they were born in, you may contact the State of Vermont Archives to obtain any birth record of someone who was born in any town in Vermont. For information on records over 5 years old call (802) 828-3286. For those less than 5 years old contact (802) 863-7275.


What if I need my certificate immediately?

If you are unable to come in to the office, the quickest way is to include a pre-stamped overnight envelope with your request form . The Clerk’s Office will not pay to have it overnighted to you. Requests including an overnight envelope will be processed on the same business day they are received. Contact your local post office for more information.